To quality to adopt an animal from the Humane Society serving Crawford County (HSCC), the adopter must:
1. Be at least 18 years of age;
2. Be a resident of the household where the animal will reside:
3. If a renter or not the home owner, have written permission from the land owner
(with contact information) to have a pet.
Criteria for Adoption Refusal
1. Gives inaccurate or misleading information on contract from the during the adoption process;
2. Has a proven or extensive history of losing, giving away, selling or having animals injured or killed by
3. Has surrendered an animal to HSCC within the last 6 months;
4) Has a known history of abusing or neglecting animals;
5. Has not adhered to the spay/neuter requirements from a previous adoption contract from the HSCC,
or has demonstrated reluctance to adhere to these same spay/neuter provisions;
6. Plans to use the adopted animal for breeding;
7. Plans to keep the adopted animal chained or kenneled outside 24/7
All individuals adopting an animal must sign an adoption contract.
1. By signing the adoption contract, the adopter agrees to:
a. Pay all posted fees;
b. Have the animal checked by a veterinarian within 7 days, at their expense;
~~ The HSCC assumes no responsibility for treatment of sick animals;
c. Care for the pet at all times with proper food, water, attention to medial needs, and shelter,
in a humane fashion;
d. Have the animal properly vaccinated on a yearly basis, or as specified by a veterinarian;
e. Have the animal spayed/neutered by the date specified on the adoption form, or as
recommended by a veterinarian
~~ Failure to do so will result in: a) forfeiture of the animal to the HSCC, and/or (b)
a penalty of $250.00, plus all costs for attorney and court costs.
2. If a resident of the State of Ohio, each person adopting a dog also agrees to purchase a current yearly dog
license at the time of adoption:
a. Should the dog be returned to the Shelter, the dog license must accompany the dog, as a dog
license stays with the animal.
~~ No refund for dog license will be provided.
3. Furthermore, by signing the adoption contract, the adopter agrees that the animal is not to be given
away as a gift, placed in another permanent home, sold for research purposes;
a. Unwanted animals must be returned to HSCC. A 1-year replacement certificate will be issued
to an adopter who returns an animal adopted from HSCC within 2 weeks from the date of the
adoption for reasons deemed just by the Shelter director.